The Sturmgeschütz III assault guns (abbreviated to Stug III) made their first combat appearance in 1940. The vehicle was built on the chassis of the Panzer III, with the turret replaced by a superstructure that allowed mounting a 75mm L/24 gun, resulting in a vehicle with a very low profile and difficult to reach, and at the same time, with great firepower. In its initial versions it was used as infantry support, for the bombardment of fixed or fortified positions.
Throughout the war and especially after the invasion of the USSR, the Werhmacht had to face the most powerful tanks, which forced the Germans to upgrade their Stug III to become effective anti-tank weapons.
The Stug III Ausf G mounted a 75mm L/48 gun on a redesigned superstructure, with right angles, which incorporated smoke launchers for evasive maneuvers and, the commander’s cupola, mounted an extra protection and a 7.62mm MG42 heavy machine gun. From 1943, the Schürzen side guards were also added.
Only logged in customers who have purchased this product may leave a review.